Making the Filling:
- In a small bowl melt the margarien/butter and the honey and let cool until room temperature.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, cinnamon and nutmeg, sugar and brown sugar.
- Add the apple slices into the flour mix and toss until all apple pieces are covered with the flour mix.
- Drizzle in the margarine/butter and honey mix.
- Mix until all apple pieces are covered with the liquid mix.
- Leave at room temperature to rest while you make the pastry topping.
Making the Lattice Pastry Topping:
- Unroll the defrosted pastry sheet.
- Do not roll pastry out or press down with hands.
- Cut the sheet of puff pastry into strips of 1.5 cm wide and 30 cm long.
- On a piece of wax paper, form the crusts by interweave the strips to form a lattice pattern
- Cover with plastic and leave at room temperature for 10 min to rest.
Making the Pie:
- Preheat the oven to 190°C
- Mix the rested apple filling one more time, and distribute evenly in a 25 x 25 cm pie dish
- Lift the pastry from the wax paper and place over the top of the pie dish
- Trim the edges
- Lightly brush with beaten egg.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until pastry top is golden brown
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream